Re-use, recycling and reducing waste
In 2016, a whopping 46% of the UK’s carbon footprint came from emissions released overseas to satisfy UK consumption (a significant increase from 14% in 1990). Imported emissions are mostly associated with manufactured goods such as processed food, clothes and electronics. One of the biggest things we can all do is buy less and reuse and recycle goods.
Things you can do:
- Attend one of our Clothes Swish events (saving significant CO2 emissions from clothes otherwise going to landfill). Bring along up to 10 items you no longer wear to swap for clothes you will wear
- Share unwanted food (using the Olio app)
- Look for pre-loved items in your larger purchases. By purchasing items like furniture second-hand you will save significant carbon emissions from entering the atmosphere
- Speak to Wotton men's shed to see whether they can fix a broken item before replacing it
- Look for locally sourced and sold items on https://www.facebook.com/groups/213866605376342
- Consider using Freecycle or the FREE in Wotton and Surrounding Areas facebook page to source or give away items for free.
- Clothes Swish (date TBC)